Thursday, April 12, 2012

T minus.........HOLY F@CK!


"When we tire of well worn ways, we seek for new. This restless craving in the souls of men spurs them to climb, and to seek the mountain view." ~Ella Wheeler Wilcox (American poet & writer 1850-1919)




A Restless Soul: The itch to travel has been burning pretty badly (no it's not an STD). I might have a slight addiction........ The pull of my wanderlust is the constant tugging of my soul, leading my mind and body to travel, search, and explore as much of this world as I can. I have this internal drive that is constantly wanting more, persistent in the pursuit of the next trip, the next adventure, an irresistible craving for the next taste of adrenaline. I love that excitement, that giddiness and the exploration of something that is completely different from the mundane, mediocre existence of everyday work life.......I  am constantly yearning for that rush (it's probably why I find relationships so boring and one of the many reasons I suck at them, ha!). I wonder if methadone will help? Good thing my trip to Nepal is almost here. That should provide a nice fix....................for a while.



Bubble Guts!: The logistics of the trip have been pretty daunting, from the airline travel, the trek, gear packing, culture research, bills at home that need to be paid while I'm a way, ect.....and today it officially hit me like a train. I'm doing this. I am so amped up about this trip but at the same time nervous about a gazillion things that could go wrong. I'm usually not a huge worry-wort but little second guesses are on the fringe of being full blown panic attacks. My asthma has always been my albatross around my neck. As a kid, I used to be pretty sickly and my Dr. had to write me a note excusing me of all physical activity. Eventually, I got it under control but it likes to rear it's ugly head at inopportune times. I know altitude affects me more than most, so I saw my Immunologist for lung function tests to make sure I wasn't going to pass out at 18,000+ ft. But I worry that my asthma will pop up and force me to retreat from going further/higher. Also, I am an absolute clutz....I worry that I'll slip and fall. Needless to say.......I bought emergency medi-vac insurance. I don't plan on using it, but just in case I break a leg and need to be life flighted out or worse......die. Welp, I'm coming home one way or another. Kind of freaking out about my luggage that contains all my gear. I know it's just "gear" but to a gear whore....that is some of my most prized possessions! Oh, and that gear is going to keep my ass warm in the Himalayas. I'm nervous of delays that will keep me from my adventure! (My OCP is totally schitzing out) *sigh* I know I can't do anything about it but these are a few of random worries. Oh well.


Why Nepal?: I've been asked a few times, "why Nepal?" Why travel to a 3rd world country and spend 15 days trekking up and down mountains, gasping for breath  (the altitude is going to be a bitch), putting my body through the ringer and spending nights in basic tea houses without the comforts of modern conveniences? Well......why the hell not? I've done a cruise, an all inclusive resort, I've visited lots of cities and that kind of traveling bores me now. I'm not hating on those that prefer to lay around a beach drinking Mai Tais; because, I like laying out on the beach sipping fruity drinks too, but I'm just too hyper active to spend my entire vacation doing that. I'll lay around on a beach for days at a time when my body is too crippled & broken to tear up more physical activities. So back to Nepal......I was doing research on a big international hiking trip because last year I traveled only in the continental US. There are so many beautiful places in the US to see but I was wanting something with a little more exotic flair. I was originally looking at Peru (Machu Pichu) or Chile (Patagonia) and I realized for the money I could go to Nepal and trek the Everest region. Now, I still want to visit Peru & Chile but the siren song of Nepal was just too great and I couldn't pass this up. I love traveling. The more badass the adventure, the better (closet adrenaline junkie, remember?). I'm always looking to go further, higher, harder......it's that restlessness in me that is never satisfied. If there isn't a possibility of getting hurt, or if it seems too "easy", I'm not really interested (apparently I'm a glutton for pain). I love researching the logistics, planning and figuring everything out. I love experiencing something completely new and immersing myself in different cultures. I want to see and get a true perspective on how the Nepalese people live. I love losing myself in the awe, splendor & power of nature and the Himalaya's are the pinnacle of towering peaks. Mother nature will always have the final say, no matter how prepared or physically fit you are; however, I love the exertion, the mental fortitude, the tenacity it takes, the high and sense of accomplishment when done. I love seeing sights that most will not or cannot do. On average, most tourists will only venture 1-2 miles from main roads. The further away from main roads, the better. This is my passion. This is why I work, to pay for my travels and adventures. This is my addiction. Traveling is my escape from the mundane and boring routine of life (plus I live in ugly N. Texas), to get away from the bullshit and headache of our idiotic & self entitled society. Staying home would be a lot cheaper, so if I'm dropping a few thousand dollars on a trip, it is going to be completely different from what I can find in the metromess.



Shout Outs: This is going to sound silly & sappy, but I have to voice my appreciation. In these times of economic uncertainty and with many people suffering from financial hardships: worrying about how to pay bills, put food on the table, ect....... I am completely grateful that my biggest worry is if my luggage will be under weight limit or not. My trip wouldn't be possible (or as easily done) without my friends & family. I'm fortunate to have the financial freedom and time off to take this trip, and wouldn't have this ability without my position at Valpak of Dallas. I am truly lucky to be surrounded by amazing, positive people who worry about my well being but support me in all my endeavors (no matter how crazy they seem). My family, I know you sometimes think I'm nuts (and that I'm going to be an old maid) but thank you for always encouraging me, no matter what. Mr. Sandbagger (Derek)-thank you so much for my Nepal going away care package. My bosses (Lane & Vivian)- thank you for allowing me to chase my passions with abandon and keeping me around. My clients- who turned in all their ads, orders and payments early so I wouldn't have to worry about them when I'm gone. My BFF's (in no particular order): 1.) Mrs. Worry Wort - thank you for always worrying about my safety whether it be traveling or making sure I don't get hurt on my numerous dates and who is taking care of my mail. It's nice to know someone is always looking out for me 2.) Mrs. Work Boo - my sweet & ridiculously goofy co-worker who is backing me up (please remember my "buttering up" gift when work gets hectic :) thanks for always being so bubbly at work and not pouting too much at my multiple absences due to traveling 3.) Mr. Bike Snob - thanks for all our bike rides, great work-outs, fun times soaking up the sun & being outside but good therapy too. Also, thanks for taking me to the airport (saving a bundle not parking at the garage) and hooking me up to finally get my scratches & dents fixed on my car. Then, to everyone else who has wished me well and safe travels.....THANK YOU. One life to live......let's do this.


No comments:

Post a Comment